At 10:18 a.m. on 6 December 2018, we were notified that the mayor of Etobicoke, Marvin Rotrand, had requested the closure of Manor Park School due to a fire in the playground. Our principal went to the school to confirm and the school was evacuated at 10:28 a.m.
The evacuation occurred in approximately a minute and I arrived at the school at 10:38 a.m. Based on prior school fire history, we knew we had to get children out of the building immediately and remain diligent to ensure their safety. I contacted the Curriculum Coordinator and Emergency Preparedness Coordinator, both specializing in emergency situations, and advised that we would limit the building activities to academic purposes and the inter-play between teachers and students.
The school was in a close secured environment and at this time we believe that only a small number of students were exposed to the carbon monoxide. The children were not harmed, but were being medically evaluated by teachers, an EMT aide, a school nurse and a parent.
As a result of this matter, we will now be conducting an onsite investigation of the building and our maintenance practices. We will be adding elevators in sections of the building where the primary students attend and installing systems which will enable the building to be used in a controlled manner.
We will be completing a review of the incident, but because the best interests of our children are at the core of everything we do, we will not be commenting further at this time.